Every cloud has a silver lining... (My thoughts on "Miracle in Cell No.7")

Sunday, March 27, 2016


Today, the cold weather of this Sunday afternoon convinced me to stay inside my dorm and watch a movie. And guess what? Since I want to learn korean language, I thought I may start by watching some korean movies!
Everyone here talks about korean drama and film, and I had no idea what to expect of it. So I chose a movie named: "Miracle in Cell No.7"... hands down, one of the best movies I've seen so far. It is definitely an amazing movie, with great actors and a plot, so well designed and mastered, that it takes you to the center of each moment and breaks all your "macho" defense walls. And I tell you, I'm writing this with still really puffy eyes, 'cuz I cried from beginning to end.
I was so into the movie, that didn't realize my dorm cafeteria was going to close in 10 minutes. So I stood up, fixed my face a little (not so lucky with that), and went outside to catch some dinner. Everyone worrying and me explaining that nothing was wrong, is something I will remember later as a funny part of my trip.

So getting back to the plot of the movie. I can only tell you that it's about a mentally-challenged man, named Yong-Gu, whose life revolves around his only daughter, named Ye-Soung and their unconditional love. He is unfairly accused by a crime he didn't commit, and is immediately sent to jail, not being able to say goodbye to his daughter. His cellmates, which were criminals unlike him, help sneaking her daughter into their prison cell. The story evolves as they try to hide the little girl from the police officers and they become like a family, helping each other with the things that were most important for them.
And... you have to see the rest for yourself, because it is definitely a must-watch if you are looking for a true heart-melting story.


As I was watching the movie, I couldn't stop thinking about the unfairness of it all. How the little girl who was trying to help Yong-Gu died accidentally and unpredictably. How Ye-Soung, the other little girl, was so abruptly snatched away from her dad's arms, leaving her all by herself. And especially, how the justice system gave Yong-Gu a death sentence, changing his life forever.

Seeing the true innocence and actions of love of these 3 characters, I wondered, ¿God, why is life so unfair? And while I was asking myself this question, I remembered a quote the professor from 'Understanding Globalization' gave us in class (as he likes to give weekly quotes to his students)...

"Every cloud has a silver lining"
I believe, most of the times we don't understand the difficulties we have to go through in our lives. Because we are only able to see the gray back of the clouds. We don't realize the sun is shining on the other side, painting a beautiful lining around, as God or Life, as you want to call it, draws a perfect master plan. We never know, how is life using us, for the big picture, and the big picture for our own life.

Why is the movie called Miracle in Cell No.7? I believe a miracle is just a shift in perception. As you see the movie, you realize, that little girl is a beautiful miracle for the lives of the whole population of prisoners in that jail, and even police officers. The way she inserts innocence and love inside the seemingly dark prison bars, and lights up their cell is astonishing. Her mentally-challenged dad Yong-Gu, and her are able to unconsciously spread and even show the innocence in the other prisoners too.

I recommend the movie with all my heart :). You can watch the trailer here, although it doesn't do justice to the movie itself.

Source of images.

You Might Also Like

0 comentarios

Instagram

Subscribe